Faculty of Arts
Sociology of Health and Medicine
This course considers social dimensions of health, illness, and medicine in New Zealand and internationally.
Specific topics to be addressed include:
- social distribution of disease (by gender, income, ethnicity);
- social production of disease;
- social construction of illness;
- patient experiences;
- social construction of treatment practices;
- social organization of medicine;
- alternative visions of healthcare.
Coordinator(s) Dr Manuel Vallee
Coursework + exam
SOCIOL 333: 15.0 points
30 points at Stage II in Sociology, or SOCSCIPH 200