Faculty of Arts
Special Topic: Identities in the Networked Age
The media-influenced construction of identities, with specific focus on issues surrounding the online (digital) realm, social networking sites, and online privacy.
Coordinator(s) Jonathan Albright
- Turkle, Sherry. (2007) Evocative objects: Things we think with. The MIT Press.
- Turkle, Sherry. (1995) Life on the Screen: Identity in the Age of the Internet. New York: Simon and Shuster.
- Deuze, M. (2006) Participation, remediation, bricolage: Considering principal components of a digital culture. The Information Society, 22(2), 63-75.
- Boyd, d. & Ellison, N. B. (2007) Social network sites: Definition, history, and scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 13(1), article 11.
- Baym, Nancy K. (2011) I think of Them as Friends: Interpersonal Relationships in the Online Community. Gender, Race and Class in Media.
Coursework: Essay (1000 words) 20%
Media Analysis Presentation 20%
Tutorial participation 10%
Exam : 2hrs 50%
FTVMS 223: 15.0 points
90 points passed