Faculty of Arts

  • Chinese 277 Study Abroad

Chinese 277 Study Abroad

We encourage students to study overseas and offer a variety of study abroad courses for students (CHINESE 277, CHINESE 278, CHINESE 377 and CHINESE 378).

General information and guidelines

1. Eligibility

To be eligible for CHINESE 277, students must have a minimum B grade in CHINESE 101.

To be eligible for CHINESE 278, students must have completed CHINESE 277.

To be eligible for CHINESE 377, students must have a minimum B grade in CHINESE 201.

To be eligible for CHINESE 378, students must have completed CHINESE 377.

2. Travel arrangements

a)   Register with Safe Travel

b)   Send a copy of your travel plans to the course coordinator.

c)   Ensure that you have appropriate travel and medical insurance.

3. Fees and StudyLink

For students enrolling in courses from 2016, the fees for the above courses will be waived automatically.

However, it is strongly recommended that you check your statement on Student Services Online to ensure that the waiver is applied before leaving for overseas.

If you are an international student, you will still need to pay the International Health and Travel Cover.  If you have any questions, please contact the Fees Office (fees@auckland.ac.nz)

If you have any queries regarding StudyLink, please contact the University or StudyLink.

The following information only applies to students who would like to organise overseas study themselves. For students interested in the China Study Abroad Tour, please refer to this information sheet.


1. Study Abroad Adviser approval / documentation to accompany the application

Your proposed overseas course must be approved by the Study Abroad Adviser prior to your enrolment and departure. It is therefore essential that you contact the Study Abroad Adviser well in advance, provide documentation, obtain approval and complete the Study Abroad Application Form.


1.     Up to date course details (including course planner and assessment details, textbook references and/or course materials, total contact hours and course duration): the proposed overseas course must be approved by the Study Abroad Adviser prior to enrolment and departure (credit will not be given to courses other than that approved by the Study Abroad Adviser).

2.     An up-to-date copy of your Academic Transcript.

2. Duration of course

A minimum of sixty hours of classes is required for credit. The number of weeks that the course runs may vary from institution to institution but is usually around three to four weeks. Proof of the course duration must be supplied.

3. Assessment

1.     You are required to sit an assessment on your return to gain 15 points for the course.

2.     Please make sure that you bring back the following documents from the overseas institution:

·          Official notification of overall result of the course

·          Proof of attendance

·          All marked assignments and tests

·          Materials used

Note: The first two items may be sent to the course coordinator directly from the institution.

3.     You will be advised on the details of the assessment by your course coordinator.

4.     If you have any questions on the assessment, please contact your course coordinator.

4. Eligibility to undertake two study abroad courses

Please see the Study Abroad Adviser.


Steps to follow in organising a study abroad trip:

1.     Read through general information and guidelines. 

2.     Check that you are eligible.

3.     Contact the Study Abroad Adviser and discuss your intention to take a Study Abroad course and seek approval.

4.     Once your proposed course is approved by your Study Abroad Adviser, submit the signed Study Abroad Application Form to the Arts 1 Reception and Information Centre, Level 3, Arts 1 Bldg.

5.     Apply for the programme in the overseas institution.

6.     Apply for a concession to take the course (e.g. CHINESE 277, JAPANESE 377, KOREAN 277/278) on SSO before your departure. (The enrolment for Summer School courses begins at the beginning of November.)

7.     Enrol with the school of your choice. Pay your fees and keep a copy of your receipt from the overseas institution.

8.     Register your travel with Safe Travel. Send a copy of your travel plans to your course coordinator.

Immediately on return

Submit your documents from the overseas institution to the course coordinator and arrange the assessment with the course coordinator. You must do so by the end of study break and exams or you run the risk of not having your course credited.

If you have any questions on the above points, please contact your Study Abroad adviser.

Contact details | Search | Accessibility | Copyright | Privacy | Disclaimer | 1